[OM] Re: OM40 / OMG OM2 OM2n and T10 Ring Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: OM40 / OMG OM2 OM2n and T10 Ring Flash
From: Michael Kopp <mkopp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:30:45 +1200
At 23:24 +0100 3/9/04, Piers Hemy wrote:
>Why 1/30?  Because the actual shutter speed selected by the camera in auto
>mode is not a fixed value - but the viewfinder *is*, being the nearest to
>the actual.  The actual speed selected for a 1/60s indication could be
>1/80s, which would not give a full frame flash exposure (and thus, by
>design, does not fire the flash) but it could be 1/50s, which would be OK
>(and the flash would fire).  With an indication of 1/30s, you can be sure
>the actual speed will be below 1/60s, hence my phraseology - 1/60s might
>work fine, but it might not!
>
>As to your second point, we are getting complicated here when you introduce
>all the other bodies.  Can we take it one step at a time?  The OM-40/-PC
>controls the T-series in Auto and Program modes, not the other way round.
>In Auto mode, it's as I phrased it above.  In Program mode, it depends on
>film speed, ambient illumination, and the minimum aperture of the lens (or
>whatever lesser minimum you have set)
>
>Beginning to wish you hadn't asked?  It gets very complicated trying to keep
>track of capabilities when you switch between different bodies and different
>flashguns, believe me!

Well, you could be saddled with having to work for a living with
Nikon D70 and D1H cameras and Nikon flashes from the SB-80 to the
SB-600 and -800 ...

I STILL haven't figured out all the modes and "features" and
idiosyncracies, despite -- or perhaps because of -- the hundreds of
pages of manuals.

One literally has to learn their programming, then build one's own
framework of practice around it.

Only good think about these new toys is they make it possible for
old, tired eyes to go on making pictures, often good pictures,
sometimes great pictures, sometimes without even looking through the
finder.

I just put my D-70 on Auto-everything mode an shoot. Makes me
ashamed, in a way.

And yes, I'm aware of, and intending to buy, the Magic Lantern guide
and/or others ...

Sheesh.

Gimme a Leica M2 or a Nikon F or ... my trusty old OM-1. Greatest cameras ever.

Cheers,

Michael Kopp
Wellington, New Zealand