[OM] Re: excessive quoting

Subject: [OM] Re: excessive quoting
From: Michael Kopp <mkopp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:23:48 +1200
>Hi All:
>
>If we're voting, I'm with Scott on this one.

I wasn't aware it was an election ...

>Gord

Top posting:

-- destroys the quoting and threading capabilities of all email programs;
-- gives total prominence to the last comment;
-- destroys the ability to follow the normal chain of conversation,
which is he-said-she-said;
-- destroys the ability to use, and all email programs' ability to
display, proper signatures under one's answer (proper meaning those
which separate the body and sig parts of a message, and put the last
poster's sig directly below their message; and
-- is bad netiquette as defined by the Internet community for over 30
years now.

And it's as lazy as not trimming.

The fact that it's a business practice which follows the old means of
filing papers in file folders, and is also facilitated by
MickeySnake's egregious email software, and is common to people from
services like AOL, which have NO standards, only provides more good
reasons to avoid it.

Bottom posting, combined with judicious snipping, is a joy to behold,
especially in digests.

Cheers from the Antipodes,

Michael Kopp
Wellington, New Zealand