[OM] 200mm f4 broken at small apertures?

Subject: [OM] 200mm f4 broken at small apertures?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:29:58 +0100
I've just had some photos back taken with my new-old 200mm f4 Zuiko. I have two
shots of the same thing, one fast speed, low DoF (probably f4), and one low
speed, high DoF (probably f22). The latter is blurred -- like camera shake, but
I know for sure I took it on a tripod with cable release. IIRC speed was around
1/4 second. All the small aperture shots taken with this camera/lens
combination (OM-1N & 200 f4) are blurred; all were taken using cable release
and tripod. Small aperture shots taken with my 35-105 lens seem fine (same
camera).

Is it possible to have a lens that is "broken" at small apertures? Would the
sympoms be consistent with mine? Is there any further way of telling /
conclusive tests I can run?

Thanks in advance...

Simon Worby