[OM] Re: Glitzy hood

Subject: [OM] Re: Glitzy hood
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 15:30:07 -0700
Is this a classic thread or what? Endless discussion on 2 variations of
a hood. Wow, what a great list!

Andrew Gullen wrote:

>Well I can see the first two are true. I haven't seen the Olympus rubber hood

And there is the problem.

>, so I can't comment.

But you do anyway! :-)

>Other rubber hoods I've see would just fold and in most cases wouldn't protect
>the lens.

The particular hood we have been discussing does not have that problem.
The rubber is thick and good quality, set into a metal casting the full
width of the bottom. It is actually quite rigid for about half its
length. Even at the front edge, it will only push in a little way, and
never anywhere close to the front element. I think it is just as good
physical lens protection as the metal version. This hood and the other
Oly rubber hoods in general are nothing like the generic cheap folding
ones that just collapse completely in the face of mild pressure.

Moose