[OM] OT Re: Swift, was "top-posting"?

Subject: [OM] OT Re: Swift, was "top-posting"?
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:59:30 +0100
Was he indeed!  I don't think I had known that before the learned Moose
mentioned it; thank you.

He was very acerbic about many self-important people, so he must I
suppose have moved among them.

Sorry for presuming that you had known about the imagery about Little-
and Big-endians.  I had to have my reading text from Eng. Lit. classes
at school in front of me to refresh my memory ;-).

Chris

On 6 Sep 2004, at 7:22, Moose wrote:

>> But do remember that Jonathan Swift was making an acerbic comment on
>> the triviality of the differences between religions; the Big-endians
>> represented the Roman Catholics and the Little-endians the
>> Protestants.
>>
> I do recall that.  :-) I supposed that you were by implication making a
> similar statement about top and bottom posters.
>
>> I have always taken it that Swift was disdainful of all self-important
>> people, politicians in particular.
>>
> Agreed. As Holy Orders were practically required for most academic,
> scientific and government posts at the time, the distinction was less
> clear when he wrote. As he was The Reverend Doctor Jonathan Swift and
> Dean of St. Patrick's Cathedral for over 30 years, I presume he knew
> that of which he wrote.
>
> Moose
<|_:-)_|>
C M I Barker