[OM] Re: OT Re: Re: excessive quoting

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Re: Re: excessive quoting
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:36:10 +1000

On 07/09/2004, at 2:06 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I should find the film Acer.  I read the book after having seen the
> film and I found it less exciting.  The film is pretty violent and
> anarchic; that's why the director, Stanley Kubrick, withdrew it from
> circulation until only a few years ago.
>
> See http://www.clockworkorange.com/

The film is available on DVD now. I read the book first (Ohsolong ago
my droogies) and was disappointed that the language had been simplified
but then...it was hard enough to read. When I saw it again after so
many years I realised that I had remembered some scenes as being from
the film when they are only in the book. Such is the power of the
imagination.
Some words in the glossary seem not to fit the analysis - I'm sure that
rozzer for cop predates the movie, bolshy did and does not mean 'great'
but difficult (perjorative truncation of Bolshevik) and 'snuff it' for
die is very old. Snoutie from 'snout' - prison term for tobacco.
Particularly grateful for 'gulliver' - it was used in 'Snatch' and I
spent hours worrying about what it rhymed with!
AndrewF