[OM] Re: OT Re: Re: excessive quoting

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Re: Re: excessive quoting
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:56:46 +1000
The English slang 'char' was still around when I were a lad - possibly
from the original 'chaa' and usually describing very powerful transport
cafe grade tea, the stuff that peels back the eyelids and takes the
chrome off the spoon as it stands upright. I always understood that
'chai' migrated into Russian from the caravans of black tea coming over
the hills from Assam or thereabouts. I drink chai too but it has become
a term referring to Indian style milky double-boiled spiced tea - very
strong and very good.
Oh - and I got it wrong - 'gulliver' was used in 'Lock, Stock...'
rather than 'Snatch.'
AndrewF