[OM] Re: Om Zuiko 75-150 zoom Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Om Zuiko 75-150 zoom Lens
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:03:30 -0500
In short, this movement is normal.

The zoom ring (CA1113) is not directly attached to any part of the lens, it
just slips over the body and is sandwiched in place by a shroud (CA1118).
Two arms (CA1114) attached to it fit into notches in the rear of the cam
ring (CA1117) so that turning the zoom ring rotates the cam ring -- that's
what does the "zooming".  There is space between the body and the shroud to
allow the zoom ring to move, and the arms that fit into the notches in the
cam ring have play, too, so moving the zoom ring will not affect the cam
ring.

Then, to limit and effects of "slop" (room for movement) in the
elements/barrel/body/etc., the rear floating group (CA1124) has a spring
(CA1159) that keeps forward pressure on it and therefore the cam ring.  The
forward floating group (CA1119), on the other hand, relies more on the fit
of it's steel "rollers" for precise location.   So while the zoom ring may
move in and out slightly, the cam ring is always held securely in place by
the pressure against it by the rear floating group's spring.

Well, you asked!