[OM] ( OM) on-topic and off-topic subjects

Subject: [OM] ( OM) on-topic and off-topic subjects
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:58:29 +1200
Hi all,

Since I'm writing I might as well add my 2 cents to this matter.

I am in several on-line groups.

Koni-Omega, Scanwit, Kodachrome, to name three.

The K-O list is in my opinion renowned for its dry, on-topic nature. I know
some of the people are nice individuals because I have written to them
privately.  However, should a new-comer bring up a topic that has been
covered previously, he is most likely to be told curtly to "Read The Flaming
Manual" or examine the archives - as if a beginner would know where.
Neither welcoming or friendly

Guess what?  That group is as dry as dust and practically dead as a dodo.
And no wonder.  It takes only one or two dominant individuals to behave like
this and they kill off any feeling of belonging to a community of friends.

The other two groups are rather similar, unfortunately.

And such a community of friends is what this OM group is to me, I'm very
happy to say.

Brian