[OM] Re: which slide film?

Subject: [OM] Re: which slide film?
From: James Michael King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:51:27 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Dean Tyler wrote:

   Cost was the main reason I shoot mostly Provia.  I buy a 20
> roll propack for under $80 USD, so it is less than $4 per roll.
wow I wish I could get prices like that in the uk!

> but I would rather use a tripod than shot prints.
same here.

> I hope they were helpful.
thanks they are useful comments. I will have a look at the web site.
Sometimes china can be realy low contrast (polution?) and have white skies
for days. In these cases a little more saturation would be great.

  BTW, I would
> love to see a full tiff shot with Astria scanned on your Minolta.
> Currently, I don't think there is a finer grain slide out there.

At 48 bit colour with 16 bit infra red channel for dust cleaning at 5400
dpi each shoot weighs in at a perfectly reasonable 260 Mega Bytes you can
just about fit a 36 roll on 2 4.7GB dvds if you crop a little! So
putting a shoot or two on a web site may not be such a cool idea!
on the other hand you get 35 Mega pixels out of it and can see detail
that simply does not exist on fuji print film and not see the sea of grain.

exposure latitude is a little of a concern to me since I have been
protected by the forgiviness of print film

Comparing raw mode scans on a good (iiyama) 19" monitor at 1990 by 1400 in
32 bit colour at 85 hz to a colour ballanced slide viewer there seems to
be three things missing.
1. The white is not a bright on the monitor as through the slide viewer
even if I play with the gamma, brightness and contrast and put the
minotor into picture mode.
2. dark colours are greyed out and simply lack colour on the monitor
compared to the viewer
3. looking through the slide viewer macro shoots of flowers realy stand
out from the back ground and the flower petals seem delicate and have a
real glow about them. I guess this is a quality of the slide transmitting
light rather than generating it. On the monitor this simply does not
happen. How much of this is the scaner and how much is the monitor I can not
tell. I took some 260Mb scans to work and tried them there on cheap and nasty
monitors and the result was even less applealing.

I got some it8 colour targets and made colour profiles for the sensia
film but this did not seem to do much to help.

Regards and thanks for the comments
James