[OM] Re: which slide film?

Subject: [OM] Re: which slide film?
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:18:30 -0400
I can't comment on pro versus consumer versions of Fuji slide film,
although I was under the impression that the difference was simply in
the timing, the pro version being riper.

I am also converting over to Astia for slide work. It has the lowest
grain. Since I scan my slides, saturation can always be adjusted
afterward, while Astia provides more contrast range than Provia or
Velvia. However, I still like the way Velvia looks, especially on those
cloudy, shady, low contrast situations we have here in New England.

I was wondering: If you shoot a low contrast scene with Velvia and
Astia, then punch up the Astia saturation after scanning to match the
Velvia, does that also increase the grain/noise effect as well, making
the result a wash?

The other thing I have been noticing is the result of scans versus the E-1.
I use the LS-4000 scanner and am wondering if I am able to get all the
resolution out of the slide film. The E-1 shots equal or better the OM
shots much of the time. Maybe it is the lower vibration, maybe it is the
lenses, or maybe it is the scanner? I'm still trying to sort it all out.
I don't have a high powered loupe.

Wayne