[OM] Re: which slide film?

Subject: [OM] Re: which slide film?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:35:48 +0100
My understanding is that there is no difference between the manufacturing
formulations of Pro and consumer versions of the same film.

However...

Consumer films are intended for relatively long shelf life at ambient
temperature, with colour balance shifting gradually over that span of time.
Pro films are 'matured' to get rid of the tendency for colour changes, thus
to ensure colour consistency from batch to batch, but they therefore have
more limited shelf life, and should be kept cool.

There is therefore a greater cost in the manufacturing/distribution chain,
set against what may be a greater value to the purchaser.  Whether that
amounts to 'justifying the doubling of price' is either a moot point, or
missing the point, depending on your preferences!

>From a look at the details of Sensia and Astia, it's pretty clear to me that
they are not the same film - Astia is finer grained, and has less prononced
colour shift under long exposure.

The Fuji reversal film with best reciprocity characteristics to suit your
application (exposure times up to 2 mins) is Provia 100F Professional
RDPIII.  Next best (up to 1min) are Velvia 100F Professional RVP100F, Astia
100F Professional RAP100F and ... Sensia 100 RA  The Professional Data Guide
does not list the consumer versions of the Pro films, as might be expected.

Piers