[OM] Re: flash for XA2

Subject: [OM] Re: flash for XA2
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:26:24 +0200

> Bill Stanke wrote:
>  I also bought a non-working A-11 from KEH, with plans to gut the
> unit, and use the shell to rig up a PC contact, as describedi
> in the Olympus XA repair FAQ. The FAQ author admits he did this
> with a XA, and has not > tried it with > the XA1,2,3,4.

All XAs work with the A11 (as with the A16), since pushing
the flash slider on the camera sets the aperture on any
XA model consistently to f=4.
The flash works at f=4 too, when used in auto mode. There
are just two film speed settings, ISO 100 and ISO 400, to
do so.

> I was going to use the XA2/A-11 shell on a BG2 with a T32
> flash.

Cool outfit ... ;-)
Setting the T32 to f=4 does it. On the XA you even
would have the choice of other f-stops, since pushing
the flash lever switches an A11/A16 on, and keeping it
in that position sets the f=4 (easily to see from
front), but no one can keep you from chosing a
different f-stops before firing. The flash fires
too. I often used this technique for fill flash
with my XA.

> Has anyone tried anything this foolish?  If so, how much
> correction did you > have to dial into the T32 panel for
> acceptable exposures?  If I glued (epoxy > Walt, epoxy!)
> a shoe to the top of the unit, would it hold a T20?

It should hold it, but the balance is surely off.

> Any other good ideas?

The idea of a slave (triggered by a working A11)
is more versatile. I used the this setup: XA + A11,
flash switched on, aperture reset to f=8, making
the A11 to just fill with two stops underexpose,
M*TZ with slave trigger (any cheap model should do)
set to auto with f=8 as main light.
Shooting with right hand, M*TZ held arm length
off with left hand. Gives some creative light.

Andreas