[OM] OT Storage bargain

Subject: [OM] OT Storage bargain
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:35:05 -0700
In the old days, I used to buy more photographic equipment. Now, with scanner
and DSLR, I also but computer software and equipment.

My 120gb hard disk is getting uncomfortably close to full. And I'm concerned
about disk failure as it gets older or system problems.

So I went crazy and bought 2 pieces of hardware. It's too late to get on the HD
bandwagon, as I just caught it on the last day of the rebate. I bought and have
now received and installed, a WD Caviar ata100 200gb drive for $130 with $40
rebate. $0.45 per gb sounds good to me. And the OEM packaging just meant less
to throw away.

The deal still out there is for the Memorex True 8x External Dual Format DVD
burner. Just given an Editors' Choice by PC Mag
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1633518,00.asp>, it is on a rebate offer
at Circuit City. As the review says, it is a good deal at the "street" price
they quote, as it reads and writes all DVD and CD formats except CD-ROM and
includes an excellent software package and both Firewire and USB cables. At the
CC price of $150 with a $40 rebate, the net is $110. Heck, I paid $30 for CD
copy/creation software crummier than that part of the Nero package. In the
usual madness of rebates, the external drive ends up $20 cheaper than the
internal version, although it is the same drive with a box, power supply and
interfaces added.

So if you are looking for a backup solution, take a look. With 8x DVD R+ DVDs
at $1.20, backup becomes pretty reasonable. Of course, it can do all that video
stuff too.

This isn't a user test yet, as I have just installed it and spent some time
checking out what some of the software will do. I haven't done any of it yet,
so rely on the PC Mag test for that stuff.

Moose