[OM] Re: Kodak buys National's Imaging division.

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodak buys National's Imaging division.
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:39:18 -0700 (PDT)
Luca,
        the example you quote (selling systems) is a little different from
marketing chips independently or using technology license to design new chips.
 Foundries often have standoff deals but sometimes also cut deals where they
are allowed to sell chips (not systems which you were alluding to),after an
initial period of exclusive manufacture. National was a major investor in
Foveon so the relationship was not so hands off. They also apparently loaned
design staff to Foveon some of whom eventually joined Foveon.  National also
had an agreement where they had rights to independently sell lower resolution
chips.  Clearly National was not happy with the division results, as they have
sold it to Kodak. The interesting thing is what Foveon and/or National process
technology Kodak gets rights to with the deal?  Kodak has mainly been playing
in the power hungry bipolar CCD market, National/Foveon has been doing CMOS
which is where the market is heading for power and integration r
 easons.

Tim Hughes