[OM] Re: E-lenses are vari-focus lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: E-lenses are vari-focus lenses
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:40:43 +0800
As there is distance scale on the lens I don't think the E-1 zoom is a
vari-focal. When I purchase the E-1 kit I went to a shop that I have good
relation with. I checked the first 14-54 and it was off a little between
wide and tele. Then I ask for another one and it has the same alignment at
infinity between wide and tele. The lens is still not perfect, at close
distance there is different of around 3mm on scale between wide and tele. My
11-22 also has focus shift between wide and tele (it is around 2mm on the
scale) but the different is very consistent between different focusing
distance. I believe it is alignment error and it was ignored at the factory
or within the acceptable tolerance.

I was very care about the problem during purchase the E-1 since I had a
C*non 28-135 IS which shifted a lot (more than 5mm) from wide to tele. I
sent the lens to C*non for warranty repair, it took them two weeks to
identify and admit the problem then another two weeks to tell me it was
normal! I was very unhappy about this. I have lots of experience in
disassembly the Zuikos, I know it very well that the problem was due to
mis-alignment of the rear element group. It should be not difficult to
correct but I just don't want to play with the AF zoom which has so many
electrical contacts.

C.H.Ling