[OM] Re: which slide film?

Subject: [OM] Re: which slide film?
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:34:24 +0930
At 2:51 PM +0100 2004.09.10, James Michael King wrote:

>... Sometimes china can be realy low contrast (polution?) and have white skies
>for days. In these cases a little more saturation would be great.

I have to agree with that. The light that comes from such conditions takes a bit
of getting used to. Here are some examples from a visit in early July:

   http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/users/andrew/photos/chinatmp/

(forgive the klutzy format -- still figuring out how I want to do it).

The first three are taken around 630am on the Yellow River near Jinan (Shandong
Province). This was quite some time after sunrise, but the sun was scarcely
visible through thick "haze" giving the strange yellowish light evident in
these pictures.

The next four are taken around the Bund in Shanghai. All but the coloured sign
taken around 630am again. The last one especially gives a good idea of this
haze. The neon sign is of course at night -- I just put it in to give some
idea of colour.

My hosts assured me that this isn't pollution but moisture / humidity.
Maybe ...

The Shanghai pictures are Velvia 100F. The Yellow River pictures are
Provia 100F. I was using an OM-2n with 55/1.2 and 28/3.5. Scanned on
an Epson 4870 Photo at 4800dpi to produce approx 150MB tiffs, reduced
to suitable dimensions using the "convert" program from ImageMagick.

I'll be going back next month, and will quite happily take the same
film again, with a slight preference for the Provia.

regards
  Andrew