[OM] Re: Two slightly OT questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Two slightly OT questions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:53:00 -0700
The bane of any small digital camera is digital noise. The smaller the
sensor the higher the noise. This has two effects. It means that
frequently the only usable ISO is really low which restricts the use of
the camera. That camera has a 1/2.7" sensor which is tiny. There are
cameras of a similar size with 1/1 1/8" sensors that with a 4MP count
can produce stunning images under a wider range of conditions. Most of
Oly cameras of that sensor size are 5 MP. Plus super long zooms are
very slow to focus and she will have difficulties capturing the antics
of children. Why don't you look at something like the C-50. I have a
friend with one and she loves it. It fits in her purse and she gets
great shots of her little dog. Or a c-5050 which is a little bigger but
was action capable enough to get a photographer the annual magazine
photographer's award in Iraq.

The C-5060W, its successor with a welcome wider lens, is available here
for less than $500:
http://butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=C5060

C-50 for $300:  http://butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=C-50

If you want to go afield you have lots of choices and even though I am
not a Sony fan they new ones are very capable in the shutter lag and
focus departments. The Canons seem to please people most who do not
want to futz with the images in the computer at all.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA