[OM] Re: which slide film?

Subject: [OM] Re: which slide film?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:06:34 -0700
Wayne S wrote:

>At 09:03 AM 9/11/2004, Chuck wrote:

>>However, I'm still drawn to the digital.  My film scanner can't compete
>>at 2700 dpi and I'm sick and tired of dusty, scratched and spotted film.
>>

>2700 dpi is not as bad as you might think.

Unless using very fine grain film and printing very large, 2700dpi is
quite good.

> Even at 4000 dpi, I've yet to
>get more resolution. But I hate scratches, dust and scanner limitations.
>How are peoples experience with Minolta scanners? And have you seen
>the ScanHancer  http://scanhancer.iddo.nl/ for the Minoltas to help
>counter-act the effects of the highly collimated light source? Scanners
>seem to zoom in on all the film defects, don't they.

Well, those with highly collimated light sources do. My diffuse source
Canoscan 2710 doesn't do that. Of course dust shows up as spots, as it
would with an enlarger, but scratches on the film and such aren't very
obvious.

Moose