[OM] Re: Two slightly OT questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Two slightly OT questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:33:07 -0700
Joel Wilcox wrote:

>But if that's all she will do, maybe a simpler, easier camera is
>better, especially if it has a more WYSIWYG viewfinder.

Finding simple, easy and inexpensive together with good shutter/focus
lag isn't easy.

>My brother bought his wife one of the 10x optical zoom Olympus
>digicams.  It's a nice camera and the viewfinder is fine.  My beef with
>that camera is that most users don't understand that you can't handhold a
>camera at the equivalent of 380mm focal length and get good results for the
>most part.  Her results make that camera look bad.

If I were going for such a beast, I'm afraid it would be the other
brand, the one with IS. It's even bigger and heavier, but with faster
lens along with the IS. Speed and IS make a BIG difference for supertele.

>Good luck.  Not sure what I would do in your shoes at this point.

I'd be poring through reviews looking for the simple P&S with decent
other qualities and good shutter response, if there is such a thing. I
solved it with a DSLR myself, but that's not the solution for Bill's
daughter.

Moose