[OM] Re: which slide film?

Subject: [OM] Re: which slide film?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:06:11 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:

>I was talking about resolution not sharpness, somehow they are related but
>in fact very different.

I understand and agree. I am aware that high resolution with low
contrast can look unsharp. A contrasty lens may also look sharp even
with mediocre resolution in modest presentation sizes. I was trying with
sharpening, particularly local contrast enhancement, to bring up all the
resolution in each image. Not to make them look good, or even
necessarily sharp, but to find the limit of detail they contain. In
doing so, I of course overemphasized as an element of the images.

>You can use software to sharpen the image and yes I agree digital image works
>better with sharpen tool due to the film grain.
>

>Thanks for the modified samples, the result is very clear, on the film you can
>read the characters but you can't do that with the E-1 shot.

Yes, there is no doubt that the film image has higher resolution.

>I hate heavy sharpening, it affect the faithful reproduction of the actual
>scene.

I was wondering if anybody would notice the color shift in the lower ppi
processed E-1 poster sample. It is quite pronounced in the dress and
shows the possible unintended results of sharpening/LCE. The change to
the film image is much less and not objectionable to me, partly because
the exact original will not be reproduced by any method, but I know it
would be to some. Much less effect in the higher ppi samples.

>Downsampling is not my way to do resolution comparision but I do agree that
>E-1 can make very good 8x10 or even higher if for non critial image like
>portrait and flower shoots. I have seen excellent sharp portrait at 20x24
>but for landscape or street scene you can't beat slides.

I thought doing both up and downsampling comparisons would be
interesting as well as putting in some perspective how much one might
actually see in a modest sized print. It was certainly interesting to me
to see that doing various kinds of unsharp mask on the same image at
original and upsampled sizes would have very different color effects. I
would not otherwise have discovered that.

Moose