[OM] Kodak Australasia plant shuts down

Subject: [OM] Kodak Australasia plant shuts down
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:58:07 -0700
Hi, I'm back, thanks to Wayne Shumaker who created an email account for me,
thus providing a work around to my pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx posting ability being
corrupted since about 9-11-2001. Thanks, Wayne!  Yes, I've been reading what
everyone has had to say for the last few years.  I've used the time saved from
posting to take pictures.  What a novel idea, eh?

I just got this on the PIEA Talk Listserve (Photographic Imaging Educators
Association). I thought it would be of interest. FWIW, the Ilford US employees
are to be layed off on about the 22nd.

Gary Reese

*******************
Hello from Oz,

Just thought you guys might like to know that Kodak (Australasia) announced
last evening the closure of its manufacturing plant here in Australia with
the loss of 600-650 jobs. The future of 400 admin jobs has yet to be
determined but some of these will go too. Closure was explained in terms of
a global rationalisation of operations by an "ailing company" (I quote).
Evidently there has been a 15% slump in sales of film and silver based
product over last 12 months due to the inroads of digital technology. In
Australia one in three households own a digital camera and with a population
of 20 million there has been a total of 5 million mobile phones sold in last
18months possessing some form of digital image capture.

With closure of Kodak, the demise of Ilford here and the declining presence
of Agfa (who evidently only exist here because of their historical
domination of the-now declining- "x-ray" film market) we face the prospect
of importing all silver based product. This is a sobering thought and being
sober and thinking is definitely un-Australian! All a bit of a worry,
really.

Cheers
Des Crawley