[OM] Re: I want one baaa-aa-aaaa-aa-a-ad

Subject: [OM] Re: I want one baaa-aa-aaaa-aa-a-ad
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:51:58 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:

>I just can't get excited about Canon. (nor can my wrists, but
>the new 20D may adequately address that).

OM-4, 35-105/3.5-4.5, film, hood, batteries                  = 2 lb 6.5
oz, 1100 g

300D, 24-85/3.5-4.5 (38-136 mm eq.), "film", hood, batteries = 2 lb 5.5
oz, 1065 g

I know 'cause they're sittin' right here and I just weighed them.
Picking them up, I've felt they weighed about the same, now I know.  :-)
Of course, the zoom on the 300D is just a little bit longer range, 3.5x
vs. 3x. The Oly is less bulky and looks MUCH nicer.

Looks like the D20 adds about 120 g or 4 oz over the 300D. Now if you
put an extra grip with 2 batteries and vertical controls and stuff on
the Can*n, it becomes a real handful, but the comparison doesn't seem
fair to me. How about putting a winder and small flash on the OM?
Besides, the batteries last for ages and I'm perfectly capable of
turning it up for portrait mode without a special gadget. I tried a D60
with add-on grip and it was a real handful, big and heavy. The D20
without add-ons won't be and it's only a tiny bit bigger than the 300D.

>But that D2X sure looks *NICE*.  Battery life of 2000 exposures?
> Do you realize how many GigaByte that is?  Does it really
>matter since it has new 802.11bg capabilities?

No OM lens capability

Moose