[OM] Re: Digital Dilemma

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Dilemma
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:06:09 -0400
At 06:04 PM 9/16/2004, you wrote:

>Like many on the list, I'm suffering from digital envy.  In addition, I'm
>approaching middle-age (I'll be 50 next month) and my eyesight isn't what it
>once was and I have been considering transitioning to an auto-focus system.

That's good to hear. I thought middle age was at 40.

>1)  Will any of my glass be of practical use with the 10D (I have about 20
>lenses from 21 to 500) with an adapter?

E-1 perspective: You should really consider what lenses you want with
the digital camera system, even if cost is a factor. Other than
telephoto and macro lenses, I have not had much desire to put OM lenses
on the E-1. Since you have to manually stop down the lens, it may not
meter quite as well as lenses with auto-diaphragm. (I don't think
digicams do OTS :-) With the E-1 and OM lenses, exposure varies with
aperture, the more you stop it down the more under-exposed it becomes.
The OM lenses really work best on the OM bodies and that is where mine
stay. Unless the OM lens has some particularly good quality you really
like, you should consider the new lens system you will be buying into.

Diatribe: Digital cameras will be like laptops, upgrade every few
years, but the lenses should stick around longer. Of course there may
be a megapixel plateau. 35mm slide film is somewhere between 7-19
megapixel depending on lens and film. 8-10 megapixels is probably going
to be the sweet spot since that covers a lot of photographic needs. But
who knows, with inkjet printers improving we may all be doing 20x30
prints of our family outings. I have done 13x19 prints from the E-1
that look pretty good, but subject matter makes the difference. Perhaps
we don't want that large of a print of Uncle Bob's nose hairs.

Wayne