[OM] Re: slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?

Subject: [OM] Re: slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:25:53 +0100
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Michael Reichmann on Luminous Landscape when he was comparing film and
> digital got a couple of drum scans and compared them to his 4000 dpi
> Nikon scans. There was not a heck of a lot of information left on the
> film after 4000dpi.

But are "affordable" films scanners likely to get much better than 4000 dpi in
the relatively near future (say 10 years)?

The thing that really puts me off going digital is the built-in obsolescence
(anyone want my lovely 80286 c/w 40Mb HDD?). Perhaps films scanners are the
same? But I have a feeling not (although I'm not sure why...)

What do others think?

Thanks,

Simon