[OM] Re: What's missing?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's missing?
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:50:53 -0400
At 03:37 PM 9/17/2004, image66 wrote:
>> I think I mentioned Orton technique during a discussion of the
>> fabled 100 silver nose, that perhaps there was a sharp
>> component and a soft component.
>
>Braincells must be fried or something, as I'm not recalling that
>discussion.  However, I completely concur.

>My low-brow silver-nosed lenses probably do some of this because
>of the higher flare characteristics.  Also, the diffraction
>around the blades is a bit different than modern lenses too.
>Smear is variable depending on color.

Well, this previous post I missed indicates that you understand
or remembered something, at least the qualities of the lens that
produces what you like.

Maybe someone can take apart a user 100/2.8, polish the edges
of the diaphragm blades, add some diffusion screens and create a
new lens with special properties.

I don't know that much about lens design and what optimization
parameters one tries to minimize, but clearly today's modern
lenses may just be loosing some character in the attempt to
produce the sharpest lens. Everyone would complain if the
lens were not sharp, but those other artistic qualities are
hard to quantify and don't fill out the datasheet well.

Bending light, perhaps a little black hole in the lens might
make for some interesting lens characteristics.

Wayne