[OM] Re: What's missing?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's missing?
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:23:44 -0400
I use a Samsung SyncMaster 213T LCD and have it calibrated using
Photocal. I also have a Sony G500 monitor for comparison. For the most
part the LCD works fine but darks can be a problem. I still have to
rely a bit on the levels in PS and test the print. A color managed
workflow does not necessarily mean everything will be the same. It
can only work in the case of the least common denominator. I think
getting the darks right is the hardest part of the whole digital
darkroom, and I'm never sure when the color profiles are going to clip
those regions. Printing is even more difficult to get good blacks.
This shot will show any printer defects quick, banding in particular:

http://www.zuik.net/E1/waterfire_8284686.jpg

Of course the contrast range is very wide. Still, on the epson 2200
I cannot get the blacks to print well. Maybe I should try some matte
paper with matte black?

Wayne