[OM] Re: What's missing?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's missing?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:09:20 +0800
Seems you got much better tools than me, I never use any calibration tool
but I got very accurate result with my workflow for both slide output and
Fuji Frontier output, that is all I need. I never use inkjet, it doesn't
look right for me especially I print mostly 4x6. The resolution of inkjet is
low compared with Fuji Frontier (I still miss the good quality optical print
but it is no longer feasable) at this print size.

For monitor I set it at 5000K. I use a 5000K light box to compare my scan, I
set a very minor twist curve for the 4000ED, which gives constant result
with RDP III. Every scan is closely matched with the light box view.

For slide output I use sRGB (I know most pro may say they will use Adobe
RGB), my Polaroid film recorder matched very well with sRGB although it does
not say what profile it use.

For prints, I only use Fuji Frontier, there is a cheap one hour lab here
which gives me consistent result (tell them to make direct output without
adjustment). My first step is download the Fuji Frontier profile from Pop
Photo web site and use it with PS (remember at the Proof Setup click the
"Simulate Paper White" box). Then I use reverse engineering method, output
at least ten different prints with different scenes, most important is to
include some peoples shots (IMO it is the most difficult one to cal.).
Compare the prints with the monitor display, use a light source which is
close to your monitor's color temp. to view the prints (you may also need a
lamp with high color rendering index). Then adjust your display card's curve
setting to make it close to what you see on the prints, repeat with
different prints and save the curve. With this method I have thousands of
prints made and it proof to work very well for me.

C.H.Ling