[OM] Re: slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?

Subject: [OM] Re: slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:14:32 +0100
Mike wrote:

>> For around a grand, I can continue to use all my old OM kit with almost all
>> the advantages digital offers (but at a tiny fraction of the cost of digital
>> gear which will be obsolete and worthless in 2 years anyway).
>
> I subscribe to this philosophy myself. However I get by with a $200
> scanner until the time arrives (in 2-3 years) to get a digital body. I
> would use the money saved to buy an Epson 2200 and print your own
> photos. I think a 2700dpi scanner + the 2200 is still within the $1000
> budget. I can do 11x17 no problem and 13x19 look pretty good too.

I thought about getting a printer, but several things concern me (which may or
may not be valid -- I'm sure people will let me know):

1. The ink wouldn't be waterproof (professionally-printed photos are).
2. Running costs are very high (decent paper is dear, as are the inks). I'm not
sure how much it costs per page, but it's quite a lot.
3. I'd need to learn how to use the printer (including all the printing
settings). I've played with friends' "photo" printers and their complex
beasties.
4. Obsolescence. Inkjets have come so far is the past two/three years, and the
pace of development shows no signs of slowing.

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but all-in-all I thought sending them
off for printing was probably a better option and a good compromise.

Regards,

Simon