[OM] Random Musings...

Subject: [OM] Random Musings...
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:34:57 -0700
Hi Zuiks,

Interesting discussion here lately on the list abou the new D-SLRs....

I've been too busy to post lately, but have been in lurk mode for a while.

Thought I would add some thoughts and info to the various discussions.

Re the new E-series:  I am pretty sure we will see a replacement for
the E-1, an "E-2" as it were, debut at Photokina, along with a new
"consumer" level E-series camera. A friend has close contact with the
Oly rep here in NorCal, and an E-1 replacement has been in the works
for a while now. It is supposed to have faster write times and lower
noise than the E-1, though with a 4/3 sensor, I still feel Oly has
boxed itself into a corner.

The new D2X looks promising, but the proof will be in the pudding.
Nikon did not really deliver the goods when it comes to the most
critical aspects of the D2H: image quality and noise, according to
many of the pro reports I've read (by pro I do not mean the cr*p you
read in forums on DPreview, which IMHO, is largely populated by
technogeeks-these guys remind me of audiophiles who listen to power
supply hiss rather than music). And their are some legitimate
concerns about the wisdom of sticking with the DX sensor size. The
CMOS sensor should really help image quality and help to lower noise,
but I still have concerns about noise due to the pixel pitch  and
sensor size (dimension) unless Nikon has done their homework as well
as Canon has recently.

Just to put an end to the speculation, the CMOS sensor in the D2X is
made by Sony.

Wayne made an interesting comment...about the fact that improvements
in sensor size (the new 8 megapixel SLRs are exciting for their
possibilities) and in inkjet printers means that we may all be making
larger prints soon....I'd agree, and this has been one of the most
exciting aspects of digital for me...the ability to crank out
archival, beautiful, large prints in a few minutes..hopefully, soon,
even larger. Right now, I am getting gorgeous 13X19" prints from a
4.1 megapixel SLR. I keep thinking what I could do with a Mark II and
an Epson 7600. The thought is pretty appealing. But I would add that
a lot of print quality comes down to a good "post", too...getting
your color correction, color management, and sharpening and
upsampling acts down go a long way to the quality of prints one gets.
Implementing a custom paper profile and PhotoKit Sharpener recently
just took the quality of my prints up another quantum step. Once I
get Noise Ninja down, I hope to get another level of quality above
that.

Lastly, that 20D is looking awfully good. Anyone wanna buy a really
nice D60? ;-)

cheers,
Stephen.

--