[OM] Re: DIY with oily slow blades on Zuiko 1.8/50

Subject: [OM] Re: DIY with oily slow blades on Zuiko 1.8/50
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:29:35 +0200

Simon Worby wrote:
> Are you sure it's the blades. Out of about 1/2 dozen "slow"
> aperture lenses I've had through my paws, only 1 had oily blades.
> The others just had oily rings.
>
> As I say, are you sure it's the blades?

If I set the aperture to 16 and stop down using
the lens stop-down button, the edges of the
blades show a "wet" rim, just like some oil or
whatever the stuff is.
Stopping down is reasonably fast, but the lens
does not open again, or only reluctantly, or
when I turn the aperture ring to full open.

> Fixing oily rings on a 50/1.8 (and various other small lenses)
> takes about 20 minutes and is an absolute doddle. I've never had
> to fix the blades, and I understand it's not economic on a 50/1.8.

I know it is not economic, since 1.8/50s
averages at 19 EURO at that bay place here
in Germany, with a standard derivation of
9 EURO and a recorded low for a "good" one
of 10 EURO (135 sales of 1.8/50).

I just never took a lens apart, and now ask
if that is something funny to do or better
not to do, because ... (21, 100, flash).

I should start from the back, should I?

Andreas