[OM] Re: A11 Flash Problem

Subject: [OM] Re: A11 Flash Problem
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:45:10 -0700
Rough diagnosis is simple enough. When the voltage reaches a certain
point, it is high enough to arc over a gap, discharging the flash
capacitor and starting the charging cycle over. If there were no
corrosion I would guess the problem is in the capacitor itself, which it
still may be. If, however, the corrosion and/or the process of cleaning
has left some conductive gunk that leaked somewhere in the case to
shorten the arc path inside the flash, it may require only cleanup.

First step is to open it up and look/smell around for signs of arcing.
Careful inspection will likely find the spot if it is external to the
capacitor. The solution will generally be obvious too, clean and/or
insulate. If you can't find it that way, you could try charging with the
case open in a dark space and watch for the flash of an arc. If that
doesn't do it, it's probably the flash capacitor.

In all cases, be careful to avoid touching anything inside when it is
charged. It can give you a nasty jolt. There is stuff in the archives
about discharging flash capacitors for safety.

Moose