[OM] Re: Best Zoom Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Best Zoom Lens
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:24:51 -0700
If you look for a 65-200 be sure to ask if there is any haze on the
elements.
The 85-250 is a two touch zoom. I like the depth of field markings on the
one touch zooms.
The 100-200 f5 is surprisingly long lens. The 65-200 has a nicer feel to it.
I don't have first hand knowledge about the performance of either of these.

I used a 75-150 f4 for many years and was happy with it. They were very
common and can be bought pretty cheap, about $60. Some of them have elements
that are separating.

I usually carry a Tamron 80-200 f2.8 or a Zuiko 50-250 f5. I've been very
happy with the Zuiko 50-250 but they are relatively rare and thus higher
priced. The Tamron is a big heavy beast but is a very nice lens. The Tokina
ATX 80-200 f2.8 is smaller than the Tamron but still bigger than the
Zuiko's. I've read that the Tokina doesn't perform quite as well as the
Tamron. Even if you always use a tripod I think you would have a hard time
to tell the difference between the Tokina and the Tamron. They both normally
sell over $200.

The Tamron SP 60-300 is significantly bigger than the Zuikos but smaller
than the 80-200 f2.8. They normally cost just a little over $100. It has a
good reputation but my experience with it is limited. (It worked well but I
didn't use it enough to find its limitations)

Good luck,
-jeff