[OM] Re: MF gear (Was: 28mm/3.5 hood [was: Re: lens questions)

Subject: [OM] Re: MF gear (Was: 28mm/3.5 hood [was: Re: lens questions)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:00:55 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:

>If you've never seen a 6x9 Velvia tranny or an Efke 25 B&W negative, then you
>just don't get it.

OK, so I have a couple of boxes of 6x6 slides here in front of me.
Georgeous, big, clear, and so on. But what am I supposed to do with them
that takes advantage of those stellar qualities? If I had an MF scanner,
which I don't, I could print them or put them on the web. In either
case, I lose at least most of the extra resolution, unless I make very
large prints.

I guess I could put them out on the coffee table with a small light box
and a designer loupe, but I'll bet friends and family wouldn't get it.

I was just at friends' house and went through a bunch of 8x? prints from
his Nik*n 5700. His father had printed them all out for him. What a
bunch of junque! Banding in many, lots of blocked out shadow areas. The
pics of our friends were nice to see, but Glacier and Waterton Lakes
Parks were not too splendid. I can imagine making a print that bad, but
I can't imagine letting anybody see it!

Moose