[OM] The monitor debate: LCD vs CRT

Subject: [OM] The monitor debate: LCD vs CRT
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:28:10 -0700
Interesting discussion regarding monitors...my thoughts are that both
have their appropriate applications. For general purpose uses like
reading text or net surfing, I like LCD monitors.  I have a Dell 18"
Ultrasharp connected to my PC at work, which is quite nice.

For more specific photographic editing needs (read Photoshop work),
if I were going to have only one monitor, it would be a CRT. Right
now, I am using a La Cie Electron Blue IV 19". The principal reasons
are 1) CRT monitors still have a larger color gamut than
run-of-the-mill LCD monitors (that is, those not costing $6,000) 2)
Virtually very LCD monitor I have looked at, including all the Apple
Cinema Displays, and the new Sony's, showing noticeable banding when
viewing a grayscale. Most color management pros feel that LCD's are
great for retouching, and CRT's are better for any color critical
work and color management. If I had my druthers, I would actually use
two monitors for photo work...an LCD for general image review (e.g.
with iViewMedia or BreezeBrowser) and retouching,  checking image
sharpness, both pre- and post-production. For color critical work,
and color management, a CRT is still the best solution. For certain
CRT monitors, calibration tools allow for adjustment of gun output to
maintain optimum performance. An LCD is not adjustable for output at
all, and gets dimmer and dimmer over time from the day you buy it.

But they both have their place. For those of you considering LCD's,
the Apple's Cinema Displays, the Eizo ColorEdge series, Samsung
SyncMaster series, and some of Sony's new XBRITE displays are the
best I've seen.

For CRT's, La Cie's EB series, and the CRTs from Mitsubishi are
excellent. And of course, the Barco Reference V.

However, the best display for color-critical and color managed work,
hands down, bar-none, at any price, is the Sony Artisan-which is a
CRT (and for good reason-just ask Dr. Karl Lang, the phycisist and
color scientist who designed it).

As for using laptop displays, Winsor pretty much nailed it, for
color-critical work or Photoshop editing, well, forget it, every
laptop display I have seen are pretty junk for that application, with
the possible exception of some Xbrite displays I've seen on some Sony
and Fujistu (I think they call theirs CrystalBrite) top of the line
laptops. Some of those may be somewhat useable.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!