[OM] Re: Digital Dilemma

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Dilemma
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:42:13 -0700
Moose, thanks for sharing the exposure test results.   Verrrry in-ter-esting.

The brochure that gives the recommended stops for various OM Zuikos on the
E-1 often eliminates the first and last one or two stops.  Olympus'
recommendations seem to correspond with what the people who've noticed the
variable exposure effect have reported.  Now, if Oly would only tell us why.

Your results hint at why some people have reported no exposure issues,
whereas others have.  It could depend on what metering you use, and what
lenses, and whether you like to play at the extreme apertures or not.

What would happen if you take an incident or brightness range reading with
a hand meter, and expose accordingly, ignoring what the camera says it
wants?  Or use the camera's internal manual metering at a medium aperture,
then just go through the EV series.   Worth a try, maybe?

I wonder how all this affects cameras that use lenses designed for
film.   Does the same thing happen with Canon, Nikon and Pentax lenses on
the same manufacturer's camera, or does the camera know enough to make the
needed compensation?  How will this affect the usability of the new Epson
RD-1 (which takes Leica-mount lenses)? That camera has no idea what lens is
mounted, nor what f-stop is set--just as with the manual Zuikos on the E-1
or Canon body.

Film is *so* much simpler.  Except that you gotta spend time developing and
scanning it.  I guess that these weird exposure effects are just part of
the game with digital, but the needed compensation is programmed in when
you mount a Brand X lens on a Brand X body. Dealing with the effect may
involve trade secrets, hence Oly's reluctance to reveal much besides "OM
lenses are not designed for digital."

BTW, many thanks to Piers and the anonymous OMer who sent me a link and a
copy of the OM compatibility brochure, respectively

--Peter