[OM] Question about OM-4 spot meter

Subject: [OM] Question about OM-4 spot meter
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:44:48 +1000
Hi all,

I'm Andrew, new to the list.  I just joined yesterday, a Zuikoholic from
Australia, have been for 30 years now, I don't want to be cured...

Introductions over, I have a question I'd like to ask the OM-4 owners.

I have recently acquired an OM-4 and it has an annoying problem with the
spot metering button - it only works intermittently.  And the weirdest part
is that it only works if the film has not been advanced.  Other than this
the camera (and meter) work faultlessly.

I've loaded a test film and put in new batteries.  I turn the meter switch
to Auto and give the shutter button a touch to wake it up.  But then I have
to hold my tongue right if I want to take a spot measurement, sometimes I
press the little button until my finger gets sore just trying to get a
response from the beast.

Same goes for the Exposure Memory / Memory Clear switch, it also only seems
to work when it feels like it.  But when one works then they both work...as
long as the film has not been advanced.

Can anyone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong here?  I've
downloaded a copy of the instruction manual and I from what I can tell I'm
doing it right.  Shouldn't the spot meter work regardless of the film being
advanced or not?

Regards,
Andrew McPhee