[OM] Re: Batteries again, again... was Question about OM-4 spot meter

Subject: [OM] Re: Batteries again, again... was Question about OM-4 spot meter
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:44:10 -0500
I need to go back and look at Energizer's data sheets again . . . I must
have found an old "357" when I first looked after finding the 357/303
Energizer started selling a while back.  OTOH, I've been using those
Energizers without notable issues . . . but admittedly haven't kept data on
them . . . just anecdotal that I don't seem to be replacing them any faster
than their predecessors.  Your remarks wouldn't surprise me much . . . a
cost-cutting measure by Energizer . . . they eliminated a fair number of
cell numbers from their product line at about the same time the 303/357
showed up.  If you think about it, it's not in the battery manufacturer's
interest to sell extremely long-life "throw-away" cells . . . other than
maintaining sufficient life that that the public doesn't get upset about
them pooping out too quickly.

[Gratuitous Cynical Rant]
For-profit corporations don't want you to repair anything and they promote
(a) non-repairable "throw-away", (b) "subscription" based, and (c) new
accessories "frequently required" product lines . . . as often as the bulk
of consumers will tolerate.  This is straight from MBA 501 . . . these
methods, if accepted by the consumer, are revenue generating cash cows.  In
the abstract, it's the same business model the drug pushers use.

That said, I don't risk a wedding shoot with weak cells in an OM-2S . . . I
don't do more than two without replacing the cells in it with new ones . .
. and keep the ones that were in it (still good) in reserve for the OM-4
that I don't use for paid gigs and can afford the risk.

Thanks,
-- John Lind