[OM] Now OT: sniping (was: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro))

Subject: [OM] Now OT: sniping (was: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro))
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:50:15 +0100
Andreas Pirner wrote:

> Either sniping is not too popular yet among
> German eBay auctions, or I just do not recognize
> it correctly. If I am after an item, I actually
> wait till the last 5 seconds to manually place
> my maximum bid. Seldomly a sniper cuts into that.
> Most program their snipers for 10 or more seconds
> before final.

Manual sniping is possible, of course, but it is a real ballache. Plus there's
the risk of forgetting. AutionStealer (& there are others out there) really
take the pain out of it.

There is a risk of sniping very late: if Fred puts a bid of 100 in 10 seconds
before the end, and you put a bid of 100 in 5 seconds before the end, Fred will
win.

The only point of sniping is to stop people *reacting* to being outbid by you.
20 seconds or so is sufficient to achieve that. AuctionStealer defaults to 7
seconds. I would change that to a higher number, but I'm not *that* bothered as
to be arsed to do it!

> If a sniper still makes it, it is
> at a higher price that I was not willing to pay.
> More often an earlier bidder overbids me because
> he is willing to spend more and has set his max
> accordingly.

Yes, quite. And that is fair enough. I work on the same principle.

> <snip>
>
> PS: Sorry Simon if I raised the price too since
> I did bid for that macro too (nick: espian). I
> just do that for getting the results for my stats.
> I shot my 50 3.5 at 77 EURO.

That's no problem. I'm too old and wise to take eBay too seriously!

MfG,

Simon