[OM] Re: HRCCUD (home repairs can cause unusual damage)

Subject: [OM] Re: HRCCUD (home repairs can cause unusual damage)
From: Geilfuss Charles <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:44:14 -0500
Greetings All,
        I solomnly swear that the following account is true as I was an eye
witness. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. The event
occured in 1975 during my lab for Organic Chemistry 101 at Clemson
University.
        I don't recall the exact procedure but it involved a round-bottomed
flask on a steam bath, a small distillation column, stirring motor and a
separation flask for adding a second reagent at the appropriate time and
rate. The main reagent was dissolved in a solvent of some sort, heated, and
a second reagent added. The reaction product was to be distilled off after
the reaction. My lab partner across the bench added the second reagent at
the appropriate time but much too quickly. The reaction got out of hand and
blew out of the vessel, spattering the front of her clothing with the
mixture. She was wearing a synthetic fabric leotard that was under some
tension by her ample bosom and was of a weave that when cut would run. The
organic compounds upon contact immediately disolved numerous holes in the
fabric which then proceeded to run together coalescing into large holes. The
lab proctor kindly loaned her his lab coat for her walk back to the dorm.
        Kind of makes me nostalgic for college days.

Charlie