[OM] Re: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro) -- eBay...

Subject: [OM] Re: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro) -- eBay...
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:35:51 -0700
Piers writes:

<< As to the going rate of the 50/3.5, the best source is likely to be Markus
Haukebøe's listing of completed deals on that auction site which is at
www.haukeboe.com which lists 50 auctions, prices ranging from $60 to $200 >>

Old-timers probably expected me to say this: "I don't get it."  Beyond the
statisticians who didn't need convincing, didn't I prove to lay consumers at:
< http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm >
that condition is the #1 determinant of price, followed by uncertainty over a
seller's professionalism? And on lenses it certainly makes a difference what
coating it has. And, for choice examples, if the item is a box or not.

What does an overall statistical mean for all sales thrown together tell anyone
about value of a particular OM System component they may have in their hand?  I
can only think of one thing: you find a better than average example and only
bid the average. If you get it, you have the piece of mind that you didn't
overpay.  But you don't know by how much.  And if everyone is only willing to
pay the overall mean, you'll never get a profit if you turn around and sell it
in the same condition you bought it in. And if you later find you didn't
realize the differences between different versions of the same lens, well then
you might have overpaid . . .

Oh, I can think of another use of an overall average price list, but it works
AGAINST most folks. Mr. Joe Dealer looks at your pristine example of a Zuiko
and pulls out an averages price list, then says "I can only give you XX% of the
price it shows." Think about how the seller gets screwed. That explains my
premise without statistical mumbo gumbo.

Gary Reese