[OM] Re: Tamron lens quality ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron lens quality ?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:30:09 -0500
Christian,
I cannot give you experience with the specific Tamron lenses you asked
about . . . but your question is a good one.  All the "third party" lens
manufacturers [e.g. Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Vivitar] have spanned a wide
range of lens quality over the years.  Some of the lenses from each of
these companies are among the very best and some are among the very
worst.  I picked the two specific Tamron zoom lens models I use very
carefully after doing some research and asking the same questions.

Note about Vivitar Series I Lenses:
Vivitar did not make their own lenses.  They were made by other companies
for Vivitar and which company made which lens changed over
time.  Unfortunately, in their Series I line there was little or no
distinction made when the actual lens manufacturer changed (and therefore
its formulation and mechanical design also changed).  See this discussion
about the Vivitar Series I line of lenses and the difference in them over time:
http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

One excellent source of information is Gary Reese's lens tests which
includes the 90mm Tamron:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

-- John Lind

At 01:26 PM 9/24/04, Christian wrote [in part]:
>Hello,
>
>As you are sharing about Adaptall I remember
>I have to "find" lenses for my recent N*kon fm*3a
>(I will wait pretty long to buy digital cameras if only
>films are available during this time...).
>But your digital experiences are very interesting and
>please dont split the ml.
>
>So I thought about Tamron adaptall lenses because
>I could also use them on my Om1n (OM content)
>and because n*kon lenses dont seem to be as good
>as zuikos (not right ? ).
>So Tamron could be an alternative.

. . .