[OM] Re: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro) -- eBay...

Subject: [OM] Re: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro) -- eBay...
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:08:10 +1200
Gordon wrote

> Hi Simon:
>
> I felt a bit 'off' about sniping at first, but after losing about 5 of my
> first 6 auction attempts, a photog from Providence tuned me in to esnipe
> where my success ratio turned around to 80%. You avoid the egoistic
> overbidding and the idiots who make 18 bids, running up your price.
>
> Gord
 And I can add another facet following my recent experience for a Zuiko 35/2
on eBay Germany.  Although I had figured out the screen refresh delay for
when I wanted to see how the auction was going (typically 15 - 20 seconds)
when I wanted to confirm my bid, strategically timed for within the last 30
seconds or so, the server delay then lengthened to well over 30 agonising
seconds, and my bid, which quite probably would have won me the lens
since it was well over double the winning bid, failed. The server just did not
act on my bid.

Kind of spoiled my day, especially since I had arisen at about 5 am to do
this little exercise.

Brian