[OM] Re: about a lens

Subject: [OM] Re: about a lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:02:11 -0700
Guillaume Remy wrote:

>Moose, you got it, that's exactly the way I thought to work with them... but I
>didn't made up my
>mind yet about priorities. There's actually a roll in each, I'm making tests
>(same photo with both
>- Zuiko 35-70 vs N*k*r 28-80) to make up my mind. I already remarked an
>annoying feature of the
>F60; when in A-mode (aperture priority, like auto mode on OM4), I couldn't
>select F4 but only F5,6
>when making a bokeh-test ?

First. If you look at the lens, you will almost certainly find that it
is a 28-80/3.3-5.6 lens, or possibly 28-80/3.5-5.6. In either case, the
maximum aperture of the lens varies with focal length. At the longer
end, the fastest aperture available is f5.6. Unless is happens at 28mm,
it is simply a characteristic of the lens and has nothing to do with a
fault in the camera. This is true of most modern zooms., particularly
the smaller, cheaper, slower ones.

Second. If you have the f3.3-5.6 "G" model, you shouldn't spend much
time testing it. If you read my comments a day or so ago and/or John
Lind's rant yesterday about the poor quality 28-80 zooms that even the
best makers are selling with their bodies for lowest price, guess what?
That's what you have! It's a dead waste of a good camera body and film
to use a lens like that. The f3.5-5.6 "D" model, is more expensive and
probably a decent lens, but certainly not up to the best Nik*n can do,
or even, I suspect, the middle of what they can do. If you have any of
the Zuiko 35-70 lenses except the f3.5-4.8 one, you will find them to be
better than whichever Nikkor 28-80 you have. I expect the f3.5-4.8 Zuiko
(really a relabeled Cosina) to be about the same as the "D" model Nikkor.

Moose