[OM] ( OM) re T10 flash auction - was Zuiko 35/2

Subject: [OM] ( OM) re T10 flash auction - was Zuiko 35/2
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:40:30 +1200
Hi folks,

The discussion about my preceding 35/2 auction had as a focal point the
failure of the eBay computers to process bids at a normal speed in the last
30 seconds of that auction.

Then people mentioned that some auction sites extend the auction end if
there are bids in the last 5 minutes or so. This particular site does this, and
in this instance, I say, thank goodness.

THREE times during the last 10 (approx) minutes, I was disconnected at a
nearly crucial time as I was tracking the movement of bidding. And as those
of you on dial-up may know, (re) connection is not exactly instantaneous.
But, in all instances I made it through again in good time and got to the end
OK it seems.

I've been having a lot of disconnection problems recently, perhaps due to my
ISP moving to another part of town. It gets tiresome.

AND, rumours of the actual or impending death of that auction site are
greatly exaggerated. They seem to be going from strength to strength,
despite some aspects that are a pain (such as not enabling direct
communication with sellers - all e-mails are via the auction site which also
posts them on the page.).

Brian.