[OM] Back to Vuescan

Subject: [OM] Back to Vuescan
From: Gary Edwards <zuikowarriors@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:43:40 -0700 (PDT)
About the time I bought the Minolta DiMage Scan Elite 5400 (that's a
mouthfull), I had a Windows 2000 meltdown and upgraded to XP Pro.  In the
process I lost my Vuescan serial number.  I tried several times with Ed
Hamrick's online invoice generator to recover my serial number, but to no
avail.  So, being relatively cheap, I got along using the Minolta software from
inside Photoshop.  Moderately annoying and the scans were not the best, as they
took a lot of work in Photoshop to level and adjust.

Tonight I sprung for the $80 Pro version of Vuescan.  I've scanned about a
dozen slides and it is clear that was money well spent.  Much easier and better
quality results.  The Minolta software doesn't remember any settings, even when
you are scanning a series of slides in the same holder. And Ed's software
recognizes the slide holder and sets itself for positives.

I worked hard last night to adjust for some badly magenta-toned Kodachromes
(luckily, I had a greycard image on one roll - remember the "save Kodachrome
day?")  It was effortless in Vuescan - just picked the Autolevels option and
the sky was blue.

regards,
Gary (all referenced images were shot in OM-bodies)