[OM] Re: step down rings?

Subject: [OM] Re: step down rings?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:54:28 -0400
Iwert asked
Is there something like step-down rings?
I might like to use my 21 f2 on a E-body, and use a step-down ring to
49mm + a 40mm hood...
---------------------------------
What you're looking for exists.  See:
<http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/rings3.aspx>
However, I'm not sure you'll like the results.  It will probably lead to
*severe* vignetting.  The field of view of the 40mm is only 56 degrees
vs. the 21mm's 92 degrees.

I'd do as someone else suggested.  Get a generic 55mm rubber hood and
cut it back until it doesn't vignette.  Alternatively, get a step-up
ring, say 55 -> 58 or 62mm and then get a generic rubber hood for that
size.  Even then you may have to cut it back.  The 21mm has a W-I-D-E
field of view.

To check for vignetting:  If you have a light table or can rig something
similar, remove the back of the camera and lay it on the light source.
Then place a piece of transparent paper (like waxed paper) over the end
of the hood.  If there is no vignetting you will be able to see the
corners of the film gate projected onto the paper.  The ideal would be
that the corners just touch the inside of the hood.  If they're clipped
by the hood the hood is blocking light.  If they're too far inside the
hood the hood is not providing as much shielding as it could.

Chuck Norcutt