[OM] Re: camera up a mountain

Subject: [OM] Re: camera up a mountain
From: Duncan Paterson <depaterson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:02:24 +0100 (BST)
I met someone who did just that when I climbed Kilimanjaro two years ago and I
certainly didn't envy him when I felt the weight of it. The batteries alone
(nine AAs I think) would put me off, not just because of the added exertion of
carrying them (and spares) - even walking on a flat surface is an effort at
6000m - but because I imagined the low temperatures (around -20 or so with the
wind-chill) would cause the voltage to drop pretty sharply. I didn't ask him
how many summit photos he got but I only saw one when he sent a slideshow round
a few months after the climb.

I don't think any of the cameras (mostly point and shoots) carried by those in
my own party were operable at the summit, certainly not the digitals. In
contrast, I was able to snap away happily with the OM3-Ti which I'd bought a
few months earlier and came away with some great pictures. It never flinched
once during the trip and certainly didn't put too much strain on my back as I
carried it up. For me it was the ideal machine for the job and the conditions.

Cheers,
Duncan.

AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, I'd hate to carry the weight, but I wouldn't hesitate to
take a N*kon F5 to a mountain top.

AG

http://messenger.yahoo.com

List usage info: http://www.zuikoholic.com