[OM] Re: oly 35RD--VF and focussing ease

Subject: [OM] Re: oly 35RD--VF and focussing ease
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 07:32:08 -0400

On 10/2/2004 at 6:29 PM Andrew L Wendelborn wrote:

<snip>

>If you're about to buy something, I'll put in a vote for an SPn. It's
>very nice to use, the RF is good, and its spot metering is effective.

I don't know how the Canons compare, but one caution with the SP(n) is that
manual metering is kind of a PITA.  Only the EV is shown in the viewfinder, so
setting shutter speed speed and aperture require taking the camera away from
shooting position unless you have everything worked out in your head.  I'm sure
it's quite possible, but I haven't practiced enough yet to make it comfortable.

That being said, spot metering on Auto is pretty accurate in my experience
(mine does not have the conversion), so in the end it may be a draw.  I do like
the lens on the SP.  FL of 42mm is good for me.  I'd prefer 35mm in many
situations, but like 42mm better than 50.

There's also the Yashica Lynx 14, which sports a f1.4 lens.  I've considered
picking that one up just for fun.

Earl