[OM] Fwd: Re: Re: oly 35RD--VF and focussing ease

Subject: [OM] Fwd: Re: Re: oly 35RD--VF and focussing ease
From: Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:52:25 -0700

------- Forwarded message -------
From: Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [OM] Re: oly 35RD--VF and focussing ease
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:51:07 -0700

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:40:22 -0700, Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

> I remember articles that suggest that the eye's sensitivity to the
> 'break'
> in a vertical object is about 5X the sensitivity to overlapping images...
> especially in low light or with low-contrast scenes.

that it is, but it is not too easy to find verticals as far as people in
the limited DOF working range. the eyes aren't always turned toward the
camera, which happens to be the easiest to split-focus due to large
contrast between pupil and whites of an eye. a shimmer/clear difference is
more visible, to my eyes; certainly easier than using strictly the ground
glass to achieve focus which is darker vs the split/prism which is bright.

> Having noted this, a well-CLA'd 35-SP or 35-RD should be focusable
> accurately in light as dim as you can accurately focus an OM-1 with 1.8
> or
> even 1.4 lens. Further, because of the considerable less vibration due
> to no
> mirror flipping about and no aperture stopping down, the camera-induced
> vibration is reduced enough to probably allow another couple of stops of
> shutter speed... if you have steady enough hands and good technique.
> This is
> like the difference in the lens tests with aperture/mirror prefire...

Right.

> I'd suggest looking for a good Canonet QL17-GIII, which if you can get it
> for $125 with a good CLA is probably a bargain. The equivalently clean
> 35-RD
> will be more expensive in my experience because there were many fewer
> sold... the Canonet sold many millions, and they are around a lot. Seems
> like the 35-SP is relatively more common than the 35-RD, and the 35-SPn
> is
> much less common than either of those. Its also essentially similar to
> the
> 35-SP except for very minor feature changes.

Yea, to day I spent all day looking for Yash Electro 35cc on the various
website/classified, to no avail, but QLIII are to be found in plenty.

> You should watch out, though... you may find you like rangefinders
> enough to
> develop an "L-camera" habit, which is much more financially damaging than
> Zuikoholism... ask me how I know... :-p

unfortunately, the disease does lead there (and not just cameras either,
slowly but surely taste evolves in such arcana as headphones for portable
music devices, film, processing, and so forth).

--
/S
aim:iddibhai